12 Steps For Representative Sample
Taking milk recording samples is quite simple, but it is essential to follow each step carefully to ensure the quality of the sample and the accuracy of the results. This document is a simple step-by-step guide to the best sampling practices so your analysis results will give a clear picture of your herd.
Ensure that the lactometers are clean and calibrated.
Install them leveled (especially in the front/back axis).
Do a complete milking.
Note the quantity of milk (kg). Do not take the foam into account.
Ensure that the sampling bottle contains a pill.
Mix the milk properly:
• Milking systems with a removable tube or container:
- Detach the tube or the container.
- Transfer all the milk in a separate tube or container.
- Repeat 3 times.
• Milking systems with fixed tubes:
- Mix the milk thoroughly by bubbling it. Start slowly (especially if the
milking was greater than 15 kg) then increase the air flow rate and mix
for 1 second per kilogram of milk (at least 10 seconds).
Transfer an aliquot of milk to the bottle:
- If it’s the first milking of a 24 hour sampling or a 3X program, fill the bottle half way between the bottom and the line.
- In all other cases fill to the line. Please leave the space between the line and the cap empty.
Cap the bottle and ensure it is properly closed.
Identify the bottle with a bar code.
Dissolve and disperse the pill as soon as possible after milking by inverting and shaking the bottle a couple of times.
Minimize transfer of milk residues between cows by ensuring that the lactometer
tube or container is completely empty.
Note: Milk tends to stick to the walls of the tube or container. For removable tubes or containers the best way to ensure that they are empty is to invert them in a bucket.
Protect the sample against extreme temperatures (hot and cold).
Refrigerate them as much as possible.
Ship the samples to the laboratory as soon as possible.
The pills present in the vials contain bronopol (antibacterial agent) and natamycin (antifungal agent). Keep out of the reach of children.