The Story Behind your Heifer Inventory
Get it Right, be More Profitable!
This workshop will help you evaluate and optimize your heifer inventory and its profitability under three models: expansion, rearing and stability.
|This workshop is offered from||February to April 2023|
|Target Audience||Dairy producers, advisors and students|
|Format||Virtual via Teams (the link will be sent by email before the event)|
- Understand the impact of heifer rearing related to the sustainability and profitability of your operation
- Understand the elements that influence your heifer inventory
- Be able to calculate and evaluate the replacement needs of your herd
- Consider different selection, removal, and breeding strategies to help control your heifer inventory
- Why should we talk about rearing when discussing sustainability and profitability?
- Sustainability essentials
- Heifer rearing in 3 pillars: Growth, strategic planning of replacement needs, genetic and breeding program
- Participant data presentation, observations and discussion
What we suggest you bring with you:
- Age at first calving
- Number of cows
- Number of replacement heifers
- Calving Interval
- Butterfat test
- 2-day delivery
- Last year’s culling rate
- Calf and heifer mortality rate